When you grow up on an island, and especially when you grow up on the coast of said island, the going to the beach becomes second nature. For me, every Sunday after church was beach time with my dad and brothers – occasionally, my mom would join, but I think she only did so on days when she was stressed.
That brings me to my first reason.
- The calming sounds of the waves caressing the shores plus looking at soothing pastel colors of the ocean can put you in a state of calm. Your mind is easily put at ease when you’re enjoying the sweet sights, smells, and sounds of the ocean. Plus, when you are relaxed you sleep well – insomnia cured! boom! 🙂
- Hanging out at the beach is a great way to meet people in a relaxed environment. You can potentially meet people from all over the world. It’s like a cultural immersion program – you can learn about different countries and cultures.
- The ocean’s salt water is dense with minerals. These minerals are soothing to aching joints. As a child, we would depend on the salt water to speed up the healing of scrapes and cuts – and even a cold. Taking a dip in the ocean after a grueling workout is akin to rolling or stretching – in my opinion.
- Need a pedicure? The sand is an excellent natural exfoliant. It peels off dead skin cells from your feet leaving it soft and supple. And I bet you will not get a foot fungus from walking on the sand.
- Did you know that people of color are more likely to be vitamin D deficient? But, spending 15 minutes on the beach is enough to get your daily dose of vitamin D. Plus vitamin D helps to fight depression.
- The beach is an excellent place burn calories. walking in soft sand burns almost twice the amount of calories as walking the same distance on a flat surface. You can burn up to 350 calories in an hour of very brisk walking on soft sand! If you prefer swimming as an exercise, great! You can burn up to 700 calories per hour swimming in the ocean. Have you tried doing burpees on sand? Now that’s a work out!
- The beach provide an endless source of activities – from simply picking up shells (shelling) or building sandcastles to extreme sport like flyboarding or barefoot skiing.
- Hanging at the beach gives you an opportunity to unplug. Tablets, Laptops, and smartphones don’t go well with sand ans water. Have you noticed that kids are constantly staring at a screen of some kind? But check ’em out when they are at the beach, they are running around and exploring – they are enjoying the real worlds in Hi-Def!
- The beach is a great place to have a picnic with your family or your significant other. Relax, eat some fruits, drink some coconut water (from the coconut) while listening to the waves.
- You can get your hands on the freshest catch of the day at the beach.
If you happen to visit Palm Beach County, you should visit Jupiter beach. It is one one of my absolute favorites. It has ample free parking, it’s dog friendly, there is miles of unobstructed views, It’s miles of public beach, there ares several inlets and hidden alcoves that are perfect for private picnics, There is an awesome lighthouse and there are several mom and pop restaurants that serves great food within walking distance of the beach.